Cable’s gains against broadcast in volume and price in the recent upfront have helped blur the line between cable and broadcast, a group of cable ad execs said at NAMIC. "This year was pivotal [for those gains], and it happened before the [writers’ strike]," said Discovery‘s Joe Abruzzese. The key was the inroads cable made in scatter, Abruzzese said. "We’re the bulls [on scatter,] broadcast are the bears… we want to solve our clients problems 52 weeks a year, not just at the upfront," he said. What happens ahead will depend on ratings, he added, noting cable ratings were up 8% for scatter, while broadcast was down 8%. Since cable and broadcast ratings are "very, very close," cable will be even or ahead of broadcast in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, too, MTV Nets ad chief Hank Close said. "Television is television." BET sales chief Louis Carr said cable has "done a great job re-training buyers about scatter." As for new media, Abruzzese said it’s "about 2% of our business" but "that it influences the other 98%… it’s not going to replace it, there’s a lot of money being lost in new media… I’m not sure yet [about new media]."

The Daily

Subscribe

People

Trisha Husson was named Head of Strategy, Business Operations and Finance for Disney General Entertainment , reporting to Chairman Peter Rice . As a result, Eric Marcotte was named SVP of the Strategy &amp

Read the Full Issue
The Skinny is delivered on Tuesday and focuses on the cable profession. You'll stay in the know on the headlines, topics and special issues you value most. Sign Up

Calendar

Jan 28
Cablefax 100 – 2022 Nominations Due: January 28, 2022
Mar 11
The FAXIES 2022Entry Deadline: March 11
Apr 1
Cablefax Top Ops – 2022Nominations Due: April 1, 2022
Jun 3
The Diversity List – 2022Nomination Deadline: June 3
Aug 12
Most Powerful Women – 2022Nominations Due: August 12
Full Calendar

Jobs

Seeking an INDUSTRY JOB?
VIEW JOBS

Hiring? In conjunction with our sister brand, Cynopsis, we are offering hiring managers a deep pool of media-savvy, skilled candidates at a range of experience levels and sectors, The result will be an even more robust industry job board, to help both employers and job seekers.

Contact John@cynopsis.com for more information.