A couple of weeks ago, Time Warner Cable announced it was launching its TWC TV App for Android tablets, and now the app is also available for Android phones. Subscribers can download the new app from the Android Market.
The key features are:
- Interactive program guide (IPG) – up to 7 days of TV listings, optimized for display on smartphone screens in one-hour time blocks.
- Network schedule view – Tap on a network logo from the IPG and see the schedule for a specific network.
- Search – search for programming by title or episode name, and filter the results by date or program genre.
- Set-top box tuning – tap on a network logo or the “watch on TV” button on the product page to change channels on compatible Navigator set-top boxes.
- DVR management – schedule one-time and series recordings on Navigator DVRs directly from the IPG or search result screens. Tap on the “DVR” button to see a list of all upcoming recordings and make changes or cancel recordings.
The application is available to video customers at the standard (expanded basic) level or higher, with at least one compatible Navigator set-top box or DVR. Analog (cable ready) customers and those with Motorola set-top boxes or DVRs running iGuide will not be supported.
"Live streaming TV is not available in this incarnation," stated TWC’s corporate blog. "Once manufacturers and cellular carriers begin to upgrade their phones to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich), we will release an update to offer in-home live TV on these devices. We expect to see those upgrades early next year. We are also well aware that people would like a version of this for iPhones as well. That should be along in January 2012/early Q1."