It’s been a tradition that this edition of CableFAX: The Magazine, issued in the middle of summer, is intended to be perused during cable’s summer vacation. A few weeks that are supposed to be dominated by sun, swimming, fishing, hiking, golfing, reading and relaxation in all forms. The BlackBerry is nearby, but it’s in the most obscure corner of the rearview mirror, hopefully.
And while our smiles this summer are a bit less wide owing to the hardships many are enduring in the recession, we move forward. There’s no choice. So, as we do each year, we informally surveyed cable operators and asked them what thoughts traipsed through their minds as they enjoyed their summer vacations. In no particular order, here’s what they said:
- This week’s been wonderful. How do I get 2 weeks off next summer?
- I wonder if the board would consider moving our corporate offices to this island? But if they did, would it be cool to take our vacation here?
- Why is it that every time we go canoeing on the lake I start thinking about how tough it’s been to make advanced advertising opportunities a reality?
- With the recession, it was great that NCTA moved all the cable activities to 2 weeks, but I forget, is there a WICT gala this year?
- We’ve been carrying Discovery nets for years. I wonder if I’ll get invited to a party to meet Oprah.
- What would I say to her if I was?
- If another neighbor asks me if I’ve met Jon & Kate I’m going to scream.
- Gosh, I haven’t even thought of the word “authentication” all week.
- I know it’s Schleiff, not Schlieff, but is it Investigation Discovery or Discovery Investigation?
- Dare I look at my 401k yet?
It’s clear cable executives are always thinking about the job, even while on summer vacation. Here’s hoping you and your colleagues can relax this summer and find a moment to enjoy this magazine.