The ZigBee Alliance, a group of companies creating wireless solutions for use in energy management, commercial and consumer applications, today announced the availability of ZigBee Remote Control, designed specifically for use with the ZigBee RF4CE specification.
ZigBee Remote Control replaces 30-year-old infrared (IR) technology with radio frequency (RF) control and eliminates the pointing confusion and other performance problems associated with IR remotes and large screen LCD and plasma TVs. It also delivers new functionality to conventional remotes, including:
- Ability to locate misplaced remote controls
- Common command set for true interoperability eliminating the need for multiple remote controls
- Control of equipment stored almost anywhere, including behind wood and glass doors or in other rooms
- Enhanced user interfaces and advanced display capabilities
- New interactive capabilities and the ability to navigate content on the remote’s LCD
- Over-the-air upgrades and programmability
The ZigBee Remote Control profile gives CE manufacturers a defined standard to create interoperable products offering advanced communications between devices and remote controls, regardless of manufacturer. The profile is currently available to all ZigBee Alliance members.