From the 2011 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), OnStar has unveiled a demonstration of prototype applications for what future in-vehicle entertainment, communications and safety could look like when taking advantage of the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Mobile Broadband network.
OnStar has equipped a Buick LaCrosse research vehicle to show these applications in the Verizon Wireless booth at the show. Any future streaming video capabilities would be either available solely in the rear seat of the vehicle or only when the vehicle is in park.
Among the services made possible by combining the power of OnStar with the speed of 4G:
- Vehicle monitoring – Cameras mounted throughout the interior and exterior of the car allow remote viewing of what is happening in and around your parked vehicle through a smartphone or PC.
- Impact detection – The research vehicle has the ability to send live video to secure servers in the cloud from each of its six cameras placed around the exterior and interior of the vehicle. This is triggered by events around the car or by an application on a smartphone. When an impact such as a parking lot fender-bender is detected, the vehicle transmits a video clip, helping to identify the offending driver.
- Home monitoring and control – Keep an eye on your home by connecting to security cameras in real-time through the 4Home service. Control the thermostat, lights and other home systems from your vehicle – “preset” scenes allow you to condition your home when you leave, before you return or when you’re leaving for an extended period of time.
- Electronic User’s Guide – Learn how to operate and maintain your vehicle through videos streamed on demand to the dashboard.
- Video chat – Make a video call using Skype to connect with family, friends or colleagues.
- Traffic view – A voice-operated navigation system goes beyond calculating the best route by displaying live traffic-cam images from TrafficLand to spot congestion before you get stuck in a backup.
“While we haven’t decided yet which of these demonstration features OnStar will offer or when, these prototype applications show just some of what’s possible when we combine our 15 years experience in developing safe, secure and leading edge connected mobility solutions with the speed and agility of Verizon Wireless’ 4G LTE network," said OnStar President Chris Preuss, in a statement.