Time Warner Cable today announced the launch of “TV Essentials,” a new video-only package designed to address the video needs of customers facing difficult choices during these tough economic times. The TV Essentials package will begin commercial trials in the coming weeks in Time Warner Cable’s New York City and Northeast Ohio divisions, with further launches planned for 2011.
“We understand that people are under pretty serious economic duress and would like to have more choice and the option of paying for less programming,” said Glenn Britt, president, CEO and chairman of Time Warner Cable, in a statement.
The TV Essentials package includes:
- Time Warner Cable’s Basic tier (including local channels from ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and PBS)
- 12 of the top 20 Nielsen-rated cable channels, plus other channels
- Representative channels from each major genre: news/information, sports, kids, music, lifestyle, shopping, and general entertainment
- Two standard-definition digital cable set-top boxes, featuring an on-screen guide and Music Choice
- Enhanced TV features including StartOver and LookBack (where available)
- Access to the library of new release movies through Time Warner On Demand (paid VOD only; no free VOD)
- The package, valued at $49.99 per month, will be discounted to $39.99 per month in New York City, and $29.95 per month in Northeast Ohio, for a promotional period of 12 months.