Time Warner Cable customers in Southern California can download a new application from Android Marketplace that will allow them to locate and log into any Time Warner Cable Wi-Fi hotspot. The company will roll out an iOS version of the app in a few weeks.
According to a posting on TWC’s corporate blog, the app offers the following benefits:
- Automatic authentication to TWC Wi-Fi network. The app defaults a subscriber’s device to TWC Wi-Fi connections where available and auto-authenticates and auto-connects when in range with a “remember me” feature. There’s no need to launch and login to the application after the first time.
- Online Hotspot Map with Available TWC Wi-Fi Hotspots. There will be a visual icon that quickly gives TWC hotspot locations, using a variety of search methods.
- Offline Hotspot Listing – available TWC Wi-Fi hot spots listed when not connected to any network.
- Distinct Indoor and Outdoor TWC Wi-Fi Hotspot Markers.
- Turn-by-Turn Directions to TWC Wi-Fi Hotspots.
- Basic session usage.
- Reporting capabilities.
"Given that Southern California has both the largest and densest concentration of our Wi-Fi hotspots, it just makes sense for us to start there for now," according to the blog posting. "And remember, TWC Wi-Fi is a free service to all our home Internet customers, but anyone can log in using an Access Pass. We’re also going to expand it to our customers in other parts of the country."