Goodwill to all mankind. Nothing like being hopeful. For almost 20 years, I’ve been making this prayer every year in this space. Maybe someday.
In the meantime, Happy Holidays! Merry Christmas! Happy Hanukkah! Komfy Kwanzaa! May you and yours prosper and share.
Random "Gift" Notes
* For the NCTA and Kyle McSlarrow : A new, moderate and much smarter set of Federal Confusion Commissioners and a "moderate" set of Congressional overseers.
* For Kevin Martian : A one-way ticket out of Washington, DC to… well, anywhere a long way away. I wouldn’t want to even name a place… I can’t think of anywhere that might deserve him.
* For the Economic World: Rational markets. And reliable risk raters.
* For Everyone with an Old Television Set: Patience… and a good offer from the local cable company.
* For Every "Antenna" (and, Yep, I Mean Cable, Satellite, Telco and Rabbit Ears Too): No charge for delivering viewers to "free" over-the-air broadcasters.
* For Dr John Malone : Continued success with manipulation of his growing quiver of media and media-related assets.
* For Sumner Redstone : Free movie tickets for life.
* For the National Association of Broadcasters: An understanding of the concept of "irony."
* For Cable Operators: A Canoe that paddles. A TRA-Global that opts-in. A stimulus package that drives healthy advertising.
* For Local Television Stations: A chance for "transmission consent" and a dual revenue stream… IF they give up the spectrum.
* For Original Reporting Enterprises: A better value from readers and advertisers than the aggregators get. They remind me of the house guest that won’t leave. Or the uncle that sponges off the rest of the family. Or the kid who copies another’s test answers.
* For All "Cable" Networks: More viewers (and better ratings) and/or more paying subscribers. And continued success with dramas and comedies from basics ( TNT, USA, FX) and premiums ( Showtime, Starz).
* For Anyone in the Cable Industry with 20 Years and Significant Accomplishments: Admission to the Cable TV Pioneers! But first, you have to find someone to nominate you, someone to "second" you and file an application. For instructions on how and what and copies of the applications, call or email me ASAP!
* For Cable Operators: More proof that the business is recession resistant.
* For the Incoming Administration: Only the very best of luck! We could all use that!
* For All the Sports Leagues with Network Envy: Get smarter… work with—not in spite of—the industry, the bandwidth and the fact that nothing goes up forever… witness the last few months as a lesson to learn from.
* For a Quad-Play: To work. Seamless broadband at home or away is a great dream to pursue.
* For Bill Bresnan : Health and happiness—few deserve it as much.
* For Michael Willner & Bob Miron : Great success with the Cable Center and its renewed purpose.
* For the Kable Kid: New York at her feet.
* For Steve Burke: Lots of snow but a bit of "calm" in Montana.
* For Tom Rutledge : Recognition.
* For ALL: That Peace on Earth bit…