Harmonic has introduced ACE (Agile Compression Engine), a new transcoding technology that extends the functionality of its ProStream 1000 stream processing platform.
ACE supports MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) transcoding of up to 20 high definition (HD) or 80 standard definition (SD) video and audio channels in a one rack-unit chassis. This IP-based transcoder supports a number of applications including real-time transcoding for digital turnaround (DTA), mobile video, Internet TV, and digital program or advertisement insertion. Existing ProStream 1000 systems are field-upgradeable to support the new ACE functionality.
The ProStream 1000 with ACE offers:
- “Any-to-Any”: Transcodes any combination of MPEG-2, MPEG-4 AVC, HD, SD, and numerous audio codecs, including HD to SD down-conversion
- “Any-to-Many”: Multiple output streams per input service to simultaneously support broadcast digital simulcast/triplecast, switched digital video (SDV) and video-on-demand (VOD) services
- Support for mixed statistical multiplex pools of transcoded and encoded services with Harmonic’s DiviTrack statistical multiplexing
- Enhanced audio processing including transcoding and level adjustment
- Quality of service monitoring and optimization with Harmonic’s IRIS software