Envivio has introduced version 3.0 firmware for its 4Caster C4 multi-profile encoding/transcoding solution. Version 3.0 adds support for MPEG-2 encoding and IP statistical multiplexing of H.264 and MPEG-2 video streams for cable and satellite broadcast services.
The new firmware adds several features:
- IP Statmux: Integrated statistical multiplexing eliminates points of failure since an external multiplexer is not required, increasing bandwidth efficiency for variable bitrate applications in satellite direct-to-home (DTH) or cable networks.
- MPEG-2 Support: The addition of MPEG-2 encoding enables service providers to support legacy broadcast services in addition to multi-screen.
- Common Encoding: By encoding once and then converting to specific output formats, efficiency and density are significantly improved compared to prior architectures requiring a separate broadcast and multi-screen headend infrastructure.
- ?Foresight Advanced Pre-Processing: Envivio has made further improvements to its proprietary codec with the addition of the new Foresight algorithm, which improves quality and compression efficiency by analyzing the structure and complexity of H.264 video sources to optimize transcoding.
- ?Video Quality Monitoring: The new video quality monitoring feature of 4Caster C4 3.0 internally monitors ingest and output streams and provides an objective video quality score for all resolutions and all bitrates.?
- Image Insertion: Emergency alert systems, blackout control, channel branding and advertisement overlays can be supported directly from the encoder, eliminating the need to convert to baseband and utilize additional third-party equipment.