Cox Communications has selected Universal Electronics (UEI) to supply its next generation universal remote control. The customized remote control includes many new features tailored for Cox and complements the MSO’s new Trio interactive guide.
The new custom remote control has begun shipping from UEI to Cox and will be available to the entire Cox subscriber base. Along with control of the set-top boxes Cox deploys, this universal remote can also control TVs, DVD players, and audio-visual attachments for home theaters, all covered by UEI’s IR control database.
New features include:
- User Button – to allow easy access to the Trio interactive guide personalized profiles from which the consumer can access a personalized list of favorite channels and guide features.
- Closed Captioning Button – to allow users to toggle Closed Captioning display on and off.
- Backlighting – improves ease of use in dark or dimly lit TV viewing environments.
- Low battery indication – provides support for on-screen notification that remote control battery should be replaced.
- UEI QuickSwap – With QuickSwap, the remote can be reprogrammed for multiple set-top boxes, eliminating the need for operators to keep a separate inventory of remotes for each set-top-box deployment.
- UEI SimpleSet – Remote control setup is simplified by eliminating the need to reference a code list or enter device codes.
- Easy Upgradeable Port – The new Cox custom remote controls include an upgrade port on the outside of the remote for quick access for field software upgrades. This feature, combined with UEI’s EZ Updater PC application and UEI EZ Updater Hub, will enable multiple remotes to be updated in seconds.