Comcast Corporation has released a new version of its Comcast mobile application, which now includes a remote DVR programming service (rDVR) and other new features.
Comcast first launched its mobile app in July 2009. (For more, click here). The new version – Comcast mobile app 2.0 – is a free downloadable app now available for the iPhone or iPod touch.
In the coming months, the mobile app also will make its debut on BlackBerry devices.
New features of the mobile app include:
- Fully-featured TV program guide, which provides local TV listings line-up, to record programming at home.
- Search for particular programs and schedule recordings.
- View a list of scheduled recordings, cancel and create new recordings and switch between multiple DVRs.
- Use the “Quick Record” feature to instantly record with a single tap.
- Sort TV listings by category, such as Movies, Sports, Kids and HD.?
- Push notification alerts, which automatically indicate new emails and voice mails have arrived, as well as TV show reminders.
- Ability to forward pictures and voice mails as an attachment.
- Mark unwanted emails as spam.
- Access external email accounts (POP/IMAP) from mobile devices.
The updated mobile app with these new features is available today for download, with the rDVR functionality currently available only in select markets. Comcast’s rDVR service is currently rolling out across the country as part of the company’s new program guide, now available in 3.1 million homes and in select markets within PA, DE, VA, MD, MA, AR, TN, AZ and UT. Additional markets will be introduced throughout the year.
The mobile rDVR feature is an extension of the existing online service, known as myDVR Manager, which allows customers with a Comcast DVR and high-speed Internet to remotely schedule and manage their recordings online using Comcast TV listings.