Charter Communications and TiVo have finalized a multi-year agreement that will leverage the TiVo user interface to bring a new and enhanced entertainment experience to customers using a hybrid platform that leverages traditional cable and next generation IP technologies. Through this agreement, Charter is making a significant commitment to deploy the TiVo service to enable an enhanced TV experience for consumers.
The initial phase, which is expected to launch in Charter markets later this year, will utilize TiVo’s latest generation high definition (HD) user interface and TiVo Premiere set top box, as well as upcoming multi-room and non-DVR platforms. Beyond the initial phase, the strategy will encompass next generation platforms that will expand the service with new devices, features, and third party applications.
"We’re integrating formerly disparate worlds of traditional television and online content, and making it simple for customers to quickly find the content they’re looking for, as well as greatly expand their entertainment choices," said Mike Lovett, Charter’s president and CEO, in a statement.
The following features are planned for the initial product:
- TiVo’s HD user interface including integrated search: Instantly scans across all channels and sources, including TV, VOD, and available online content.
- Web applications: Allows customers to access local news, sports and weather, as well as Facebook and Twitter updates, right from the TV.
- OnDemand: Offers access to thousands of hours of video from Charter’s on demand library, including 900+ HD titles.
- Online: Internet video from top destinations.
- iPad app: Serves as command central, with an ability to browse the program guide and recorded shows, schedule recordings, post on Facebook or Twitter, schedule, search and browse for shows from anywhere.
- Control live TV: Allows pause, rewind, slow-motion, and instant replay functions during live TV.
- Multiroom DVR: View a common list of recordings and play back recorded content throughout the home, pause a recorded program in one room and resume playback in another, use trick-play functions on recorded content and delete recordings from any room.
- Remote Management: Search and schedule recordings from the Web or from a mobile phone.
- TiVoToGo transfers: Transfer photos and movies from a personal computer to the TiVo Premiere, for viewing on the TV set; or from the TiVo Premiere to a laptop, media device, or smart phone, for viewing outside the home.
- Automatic recordings: Records favorite shows each week with Season Pass recordings on the TiVo Premiere.
- Content storage: Records up to 45 hours of HD programming or up to 400 hours of standard-definition programming.
- Full HD support: Offers full support for 1080p and 1080i HD formats.