October 10, 2011
DirecTV Creates TV Everywhere Device
DirecTV has created a device - the Nomad - to help subscribers watch their recorded programs anywhere. Nomad also allows subs to sync their HD DVR with their cell phone, laptop, or tablet. Subscribers will need a DirecTV Plus HD DVR (model HR20 or later) or a DirecTV Plus DVR (model R22) connected to the Internet, a wireless router with an available Ethernet port, and a Nomad device.
Nomad is compatible with PC, iPhone, and iPod touch and soon will be compatible with Mac, iPad, and Android products.
According to DirecTV's Nomad page:
- Sync your home HD DVR with up to 5 mobile devices. (You must be within your home network and connected to Wi-Fi to sync your HD DVR with your mobile device).
- Set Nomad to automatically prepare new episodes to watch on your cell phone, laptop, or tablet as soon as your HD DVR records it.
- No Internet connection is required to watch, so you can view your favorites anywhere, anytime without interruption.
- See progress of content download on your cell phone, laptop, or tablet.
- Set parental controls/locks to block content on your cell phone, laptop, or tablet and enjoy peace of mind over what your children are watching.
- Access up to 20 hours of recorded programming on your computer or mobile device at a given time. An external hard drive (not included) can be connected to your DirecTV nomad for additional hours of programming.